We welcome you and your child to the St. Joseph’s family.
“We provide a high quality education, founded on Catholic principles, recognising the needs of each individual and valuing the contribution of our whole community”
Our aim is to develop the whole person – socially, emotionally, creatively, physically, academically and spiritually – in an environment that is safe, calm and challenging. St. Joseph’s lives as a Catholic family, bound by the values of care, respect, trust, responsibility and achievement. This means that every child really does matter: we have the highest expectations for all children and help each of them reach their full potential. We achieve this by delivering a broad and rich curriculum that provides children with opportunities to explore, enquire and reflect. Mirroring this, the school is rooted in its community, but pupils are highly engaged with the unparalleled opportunities our central London location offers for engagement with our many close academic, cultural and business partners and with the wider world.
Children at St. Joseph’s have an established record of attaining excellent results at KS2, while the school delivers outstanding ‘value added’ – Governors, Leadership Team and all Staff meet targets which demand high attainment for all children; stretching children of all abilities but leaving no child behind.
In the words of our Parish Priest and Governor, Fr. David Barnes.
“We strive for the highest possible standards because we want every one of our children to develop as much as possible”. We look forward to welcoming you to our family.” Fr. David Barnes
Macklin Street began life as Lewknors or Lutenors Lane in the 1620s. The street was later renamed Charles Street and then again in 1878 to Macklin Street after the 18th century actor Charles Macklin. In 1849 an Oratory was erected in William Street, Strand, WC2 by Father Faber a priest of the Congregation of the Oratorians.
In 1851 a school for poor boys was opened by Fr Faber in Rose Street, Covent Garden. This made such progress that it had to be transferred to a larger building, which was situated in Dunnes Passage, Holborn. The Daughters of Compassion were invited to undertake the work of educating the Girls and Infants. The Brothers of St Joseph’s took charge of the Boy’s school. The Oratorian Fathers then decided to build better, more spacious schools and consequently a new building was erected in Charles Street now known as Macklin Street. In 1857, Macklin Street School was opened and the children from the Dunne’s Passage School transferred there.
Following construction of the Kingsway a new school had to be found for the Catholic children of two parishes – Maiden Lane and Lincoln’s Inn Fields. Archbishop Bourne officially opened the new school on its present site on June 10th 1908. For many years St Joseph’s, which is part of the Diocese of Westminster, came under the jurisdiction of the Sisters of Mercy who taught in the school, setting high academic standards and much for the cultural and social side of the school.